By now, you have likely heard about YO, coming up on February 26. However, you may be asking yourself… “What in the world is YO?” Allow me to explain.
Over the past several years, our annual mission focus weekend has been a wonderful time of fellowship, engaging the HBC community and encouraging our missionaries. Some highlights have included: Friday Night Trivia, Saturday Night Live, Adopt-a-Missionary, and more! God has used these times to enhance our congregation’s understanding of what our missionaries undertake on a regular basis.
This year, as our missions team began planning for the missions focus weekend, God laid it on Pastor Dave’s heart to take some of what we’ve learned over the past few years and put it into action right here in Lakeland. In other words, we have gotten to know missionaries like Mark & Diane Henzler in Nicaragua, Bobby & Karen Williams in North Carolina and now Tennessee, and Stan & Deanna Richey in Australia. One of the things these couples share in common is faithful, biblical, and intentional contextualization. They are purposefully engaging their cultures in various ways, according to the charge of Christ to “go and make disciples.” This year, it is our turn.
Downtown Lakeland is a hub of activity. From events like First Friday, Food-Truck Thursday, Holiday Parades, Farmer’s Market, and more, people from all over our city and the surrounding areas flock to downtown Lakeland for events that are family-oriented and provide memorable experiences. In order to reach families in our community, we must engage them where they are….literally! So, we have taken our Friday night event downtown. We will be hosting a brand new event called YO at the Sorosis building in downtown Lakeland, right on beautiful Lake Morton!
YO is a cultural word used by the Dao to describe an inter-tribal gathering. At this event, we will show a documentary short by Scott Philipps, chronicling his journey into the Dao territory. Scott will also answer some questions about life in the jungle and about how God has been working there. The sole purpose of this event is to allow you an opportunity to engage friends and neighbors with the gospel. Invite folks who you’ve been praying for! Talk to them about this exciting story of cross-cultural engagement! This is your chance to bring your friends, neighbors, and co-workers to a non-threating, intentional event! So…get to work! Invite people you know!
Here are a few key things to know about YO!
- We are partnering with two other churches to host this event: Lake Morton Community Church and Lakeland Bible Church. These congregations are excited about this opportunity for the body of Christ to come together for the sake of Christ’s name in Lakeland!
- Childcare will be provided at Lake Morton Community Church, right around the corner from the Sorosis building, where the event will be held. All childcare workers are provided by HBC and are background checked.
- Food trucks will be available for families to eat together and enjoy some time at the beautiful Sorosis building or feeding the ducks at Lake Morton.
- Beginning this Sunday, we will have invite cards available in the HBC lobby! Grab several on your way out!
- Share the video and flyer on social media!
See you at YO!